Is that the postman on the corner? You hope so! You’re expecting your monthly subscription box of jeans, shirts, socks and a few other carefully curated items of clothing. There’s no longer any reason to leave your home and fight through crowds of busy shoppers; now, the fashion world can come to you, boxed, personally tailored and ready to enjoy. All you have to do is sign up and wait for the postman to arrive.
Since the 2010 launch of BirchBox, a by-mail beauty product provider, the market for subscription boxes has soared. According to the Guardian, the website My Subscription Addiction has over 2,000 boxes registered in the U.S., the most successful of which have millions of subscribers worldwide.
If you’re constantly flipping through magazines and surfing the web to find the latest fashion trends, or struggling to fit shopping into your busy schedule, now you can stay in style with the latest in fashion boxes. Update your wardrobe with a variety of clothing, accessories and more with these six subscription services for men and women.
Subscription Boxes for Men
Five Four Club
A lot of men have a difficult time buying new clothes. Some men don’t like to spend time in stores, while others have trouble mixing and matching colors and styles. Five Four Club caters to men who want clothes that are hip and fashionable. After you complete a style questionnaire, a Five Four Club stylist curates a box of three items to match your style preference, keeping the current season in mind.
- Who Should Subscribe: Men who clash colors and styles, as well as those who don’t like to shop (or don’t have time), but want to look like a million bucks.
- Cost: $60 per month. The subscription includes free shipping and size exchanges.
- Return Policy: Five Four Club accepts free returns on store purchases.
FreshNeck is designed for men who are tired of wearing the same ties over and over again. How does it work? All you need to do is fill out a queue with the tie styles that you like – neckties, bowties, pocket squares or designer brands – and FreshNeck sends you the top three items on the list. You can then wear the ties as long as you like. Once you send them back, FreshNeck ships out the next items on your queue. FreshNeck provides an easy way to keep your wardrobe fresh and updated without purchasing ties at expensive retail prices.
- Who Should Subscribe: Businessmen, men who don’t like shopping for ties and men who want to save money on a classy, stylish wardrobe.
- Cost: $20 per month.
- Return Policy: You can wear the ties as long as you want without any late fees. However, you won’t receive any new items in the mail until you return the ones you have. There are no late fees.
Bombfell carries a wide range of casual menswear designs, from boutique brands to popular companies such as Ben Sherman and Original Penguin. When you sign up for Bombfell, you fill out a style profile and set a budget. A Bombfell personal stylist then sends you a preview email of their handpicked clothing selections, and you can remove or change what you don’t like on the list. Bombfell caters to men who are looking for upscale, casual outfits that exist somewhere between what you’d wear at home on the couch watching football and a three-piece suit.
- Who Should Subscribe:Style-conscious men who have expensive taste.
- Cost: There’s no monthly subscription fee to Bombfell. You pay for the clothes you decide to keep. The average price point is $89 per item.
- Return Policy:You have 10 days to try on the clothes before they must be returned. You pay for any items you keep longer than the 10-day limit. Shipping is free.
Subscription Boxes for Women
Is there anything better than a tote bag filled with clothes arriving at your doorstep? Le Tote recommends clothing items it thinks you’ll love, packs the tote with five new items and sends it off. You can also customize the tote and pick out what you want to receive. Either way, you’ll always get a great variety of fashionable clothing to give your wardrobe a fresh look.
- Who Should Subscribe: Fashionably adventurous women looking to discover new brands and styles. Le Tote recently added maternity clothes, so it’s a savvy resource for expecting mothers.
- Cost: Starts at $39 per month.
- Return Policy: You can keep the goods as long as you want. When the tote is returned, it will be filled again with more awesome clothing. Le Tote has no limit to the amount of totes it will deliver in a month. If you love an item and decide to keep it, Le Tote charges the credit card on file.
Wantable provides two different types of subscriptions – the Collection or Edit service. The Collection covers intimates (loungewear and lingerie), accessories and make-up. After you choose which Collection you want, you take a style quiz and then three to five handpicked items will be chosen by your own personal stylist.
You can also use the Edit, a personal shopping service for both stylish and athletic apparel. Similar to the Collection, a personal stylist picks five items for you to try at home. Once received, you have five days to try on the clothing and decide what you’ll keep and what you’ll ship back. Whether you want to give your intimates drawer a makeover, freshen up your cosmetic bag or give your gymwear a pick-me-up, Wantable helps you navigate the ever-changing world of style and fashion.
- Who Should Subscribe: Women who read Vogue, love fashion and are looking for help navigating the latest trends.
- Cost: The Wantables intimates Collection is $50 for the first month and $46 thereafter. The makeup and accessories Collection are $40 for the first month, and $36 thereafter. The Edit service is $20 per month.
- Return Policy: Keep what you love, and return what you don’t. If you decide to return an item, the difference between the cost of the item and the money you paid for the monthly Collection will be refunded. No refunds are issued 60 days past the purchase date.
Stitch Fix is a personal style subscription box that specializes in clothing and accessories. When you sign up, you fill out an in-depth style profile, which also includes how much you’re willing to pay for an item (the average price point is $55 per item). A personal stylist handpicks five items for you to try based on your style, budget and lifestyle. You can then purchase one or more of the items, or return them to Stitch Fix. If you’re looking to get a very personal subscription box experience, this service may be the one for you.
- Who Should Subscribe: Modern women on the go, busy moms with little or no time for themselves and women looking for exclusive brands and styles.
- Cost: The monthly fee for Stitch Fix is $20. If you keep any of the items, the $20 fee is deducted from the bill. If you choose to buy all five pieces, you get a 25 percent discount. Shipping is free.
- Return Policy: All items are returnable.
Who doesn’t love a box of gifts? A subscription box service is like receiving a care package at camp or college, only now you’re treating yourself! So give yourself the gift of great fashion and try these services.